Blog Moved – New Site Now Open

It has finally happened.  The new blog site is now officially open.  Theres a few lingering details to take care of but thats it.  I now declare it open :)

Please from now on use the new website.  This blog here will remain parked and will not be updated anymore.

Advertisements

Star Wars Landspeeder

Got a free few minutes today to do a tad more work on the Landspeeder.

I redid the windshield so it would fit better into the chassis with the interior compartment, and then i laid the basics for that compartment.

xp34_6.jpg xp34_5.jpg

Blog Exposure

A friend of mine, Danny Ngan, is a 3D Animator at Amaze Entertainment. He recently posted an entry on his Blog about fxCubed and so its only fair that I return the favor :)

Danny keeps a personal blog which is always quite active and entertaining. Something to check out :)

Star Wars Landspeeder

Thanks to “Proton” from the Subdivisionmodeling forums, I was able to finally get the landspeeder’s windscreen to look the way it is supposed to.

Woohoo!

xp34_4.jpg

Star Wars Landspeeder

Yet more progress on the landpseeder. This morning I completely redid the engine pods. They didin’t look right, and I finally figured out why. I was so rigidly following the blueprints in my individual views, that I wasn’t watching the overall picture. This caused me to match up the outlines right but end up with badly squashed engines. Redid them this morning, properly, and using what i’d learned last time to make them about 5 million times better :p

I also tweaked the chassis this morning, fixing the dimples, and doing some more overall tweaks to really bring out the right shape.

This thing is starting to look pretty sweet :)

xp34_2.jpg

Star Wars Landspeeder

Redid the chassis yet again, trying to better understand poly flow in the whole scheme of things. This is a quick update render with the engine pods in place.

The nose of the chassis, top and bottom, has some nasty dimpling I need to fix. The cool thing is this time around I actually know and udnerstand whats causing the dimpling. Progress! :) When I cut and mirrored the craft in half, the mirror operation apparently merged a couple verts it shouldn’t have so I just need to fix those to remove the dimpling.

Anyway, obviously still tons of work to do but its coming together nicely and i’m still learning lots which is the most important part :)
xp34_1.jpg

Star Wars Landspeeder

So I spent the last several hours, essentially constantly building this vehicle’s basic hull from scratch over and over again, each time doing it differently. It was in one manner frustrating to keep starting over, but on the other hand very rewarding. After doing it over and over in different manners I really begin to understand what worked and what didn’t and started to, eventually, really come to appreciate the flexability of Maya’s sub-d’s.

The first four or five times I did this, I started with standard polygon objects and boxed modeled in the basic shape with a good amount of general detail. I then converted to sub-d’s amd tweaked from there. This method though always gave me problems. On an idle thought I wondered if perhaps my problems were due to having TOO much detail in the polygon base.

So I started again and this time I started with a sub-d instead of a polygon. I then boix modeled out completely in sub-d’s and I shockingly discovered how very little detail I actually needed to get the right shape. Probably less than 20% of the detail I had been putting in when in standard polygons.

Using this new method I very quickly roughed out the shape of the hull, and then I started playing around with and learning how Maya lets you “Refine” the sub-d in the areas you need, moving up and down sub division levels tweaking as you need to. This resulted in my getting almost the perfectly desired shape, yet only having the detail where it was needed.

Here, now, is the latest version of the base hull created with my new knowledge.

xp-38_Landspeeder_1.jpgxp-38_Landspeeder_4.jpgxp-38_Landspeeder_2.jpgxp-38_Landspeeder_3.jpg

Star Wars Landspeeder

My latest project is a vehicle that should be a really good test of everythign i’ve learned to date. It is a Star Wars ™ landspeeder built using top/front view blueprints.

landspeeder1.jpg

landspeeder_animated.gif

Animated GIF Test

Ok yeah they’re annoying. I hate em, and I swore i’d never use them. But I think they may be useful in the case of showing a series of steps taken to build an image.

So this is one I put together while working on a Star Wars ™ landspeeder. Or at least trying to :p

landspeeder_animated.gif

Speed Modeling – Lantern

Another speed modeling excercise on subdivisionmodeling.com

This one I only had about 45 minutes to work on unfortunately, but the majority of the lantern got finished.

Lantern Render

Lantern Wires

« Older entries